Thoughts on Ultimate Recipe Showdown: Cakes
- I didn’t watch URS last weekend, because the Golden Globes were on and I needed a break from food television (!). I don’t feel guilty about it. I wasn’t going to watch it this week either, because I’m not really a cake fan, but I did anyway because I had nothing better to do. Then it turned out that Saturday Night Live was doing a “Presidential Bash ’08,” so we flipped between the two shows…until the person with the remote stopped flipping. So I saw most of URS. I’m sick of politics (though a little excited for the inauguration itself) but never of SNL, though I would have flipped channels a bit more.
- Signature Round: As much as I like fruit, I’m not real interested in a sweet potato or grapefruit cake. Maybe I’m too traditional. The Triple Hazelnut Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting that Deborah Biggs was making sounded good to me, as did Jamie Nondorf’s Key Lime Coconut Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting. I was happy the judging went the way it did. Even I’d eat Deborah’s winning cake.
- Speed Round: Once again, Deborah’s recipe sounded best to me (chocolate banana peanut butter cupcakes). I was happy that Jamie did well again, too. Sometimes people over-do frosting, so I thought it was cool that hers didn’t have any at all. Completely avoided that problem.
- I wasn’t as excited about this episode as Comfort Foods, but I’ll probably take a couple of the recipes off the website and save in case I ever need them.
- I would like to be at the point, someday, where I can create my own original recipes. Currently, it seems so mind-boggling, even beyond baked goods. There’s safety in pretested recipes. I feel like anything I’d make would either turn out poorly or not be original. Oh well, hopefully someday.